Every night before I go to sleep, I think about what happened during the day and list the things that I am grateful for. Today I am going to do things a little differently and write them out. In my post called Revive Your Brain, I talk about Shawn Achor’s Ted Talk, “The Happy Secret to Better Work”, where he discusses How to Revive Your Brain in 21 Days. At the top of his to-do list is to write down 3 things you are grateful for every day. So since I’m serious about making some changes in my life I’ve decided to put my money where my mouth is and get down to writing. As 3 items seems like too few for a blog post I’m rounding it out to a full Top 10 List.
10 Things I’m Grateful for:
- At the top of the list are my 2 awesome kids. They bring me great joy and I am proud that I have influenced and will continue to influence who they are and will become.
- I’m healthy and so is my family, both close and extended. I don’t always make the best choices for myself but I’m trying to do better so that I can be around to continue to enjoy my blessed life.
- I have a comfortable house to live in and food on the table and am not concerned that this will taken away from me. I don’t say thanks for this one every day but probably should as some people don’t have the same luxury.
- I have an opportunity right now to take time to reflect on my life and future decisions without being rushed. In the normal scheme of daily life I am so busy doing things that this has often been neglected.
- I have extra time with my kids at the present. I get to hang out with them after school and work on homework with them and play games with them. Not all parents have the same opportunity and I am grateful to have it.
- I have a few dollars in the bank so I am not in desperate straits during this time of opportunity.
- I have family and friends who care about me. Some I may not see as often as I like but they are there for me when I need them.
- I am a strong, confident and bright woman who can handle all of the curve balls that life throws at me.
- I live in a rich country with many resources, much beauty and a social system that may not be perfect but is there for people to access.
- I am on a journey of new-found happiness after many years of putting others before myself.
Of course this isn’t a comprehensive list, and the list I do before bed is often very different than this one, focusing more on specific activities that happened during the day like taking a walk in the warm sun.
I am a very lucky woman who has many things to be grateful for and each day brings more opportunities for thanks. Sometimes it is easy to let one or two negative things cloud over your whole day but this activity is a reminder to push aside the clouds and think about the abundant blessings that are around if you open your eyes to them.